Thursday, December 17, 2009

CHRISTMAS?

BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT!

When I luckily stumbled over this book earlier this year, I had no idea who Joeseph Szabo was. None. Not an inch. And now....captivated. Almost Grown is an intense ride through photographs and poetry, into the innocence and purity of teens in the 70's & 80's, when emotions are a weight, and coping is done with with little patience and the pulsing party veins are overloaded with sex, booze, cigarettes and oodles of crazy tough cool. It's a ride. It's beautiful, beautiful ride I'm glad I'm past, but secretly wishing I had my mitts on. The book is now said to be a collectors item and fetches a few hundred dollars if you're born under a lucky star. He published a few other books which are below mentioned.

ALMOST GROWN


I know it hurts
All the pain rips your heart apart
But i'm here
I'll hold you
Shelter you from the wind
I can make it stop raining on your soul
Look into my heart
There the sun glows
I'll open up for you
I'll let you in
Just try
Test it
Touch on the surface and submerge yourself in my love
I promise you
The deeper you fall
The tighter I'll hold
I'll fill the holes you've drilled
If only you'll throw the drill away

Jill Newman



Today is Jane's birthday.
She is 18.
Jane wanted to buy beer to celebrate.
She always gets proofed.
I never get proofed because if it's the old guy behind the cash register,
I ask him how many kids does he have and if it's a young guy I smile and talk of wavy brown hair.
Jane doesn't do that and that's why she can't buy beer.
Today, though, she can but the guy at the cash register is really stoned out and doesn't ask for her proof - just her money.
Jane askes him if he wants to see her proof.
He thinks she's under ages and makes her put the beer back.
She comes out crying.

I have to go in and buy beer.

─ Sue Sipos


Stop!
Warm glow throughout humid night.
Tired collapse drifts onto shadow-hidden faces.
Could the answer be the discount panels 691-0061
Or the sign that says perhaps one way?
To where can we go?
Sitting on the sidewalk?
No cigarettes clenched between dirty finger?
headlights in the the distance pass judgement.
Oh thoughtful America.
They threw lit cigarettes in the mailbox.

─ Diane Ryan



TEENAGE









2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie "Kids" ? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.
    Saw it when I was in High School.
    Raw but brilliant.
    Chloe's choir boy haircut....i love it.

    ReplyDelete